Monday, June 10, 2013

My experience at the Puerto Rican Day Parade 2013

Sunday June 9th, the annual Puerto Rican Day Parade 2013 took place on Manhattan's 5th Avenue. I went for the very 1st time.  It was an exciting day in New York City. There was millions of people with their Puerto Rican flags waving proudly. Everyone from babies to seniors were dressed up representing the colors of the flag, some wrapped the flag around their bodies. Some even went all out and painted the flag on their faces.


During the parade, I felt so happy to be apart of a place were individuals have so much passion for their heritage. The theme this year was "Salud: Celebrating your health"  There was singing, dancing, (lots of dancing), car show, mini BMX show, Bar Brothers, marching bands, and of course a few celebrities and politicians were apart of the parade as well.  There were also many floats, and sponsors such has, Coca'Cola, and a few radio stations such has, 92.3NOW, and 97.9MEGA.  Along with my sister, we got to see it all front row!  All of us were celebrating our culture, and learning more about ourselves. There was a moment that got me teary eyed; listening to the crowd sing along to "Boricua yo soy, boricua para siempre." In that instant I felt a sense of unison and joy. It touched me entirely. 


The parade was fun and entertaining.  In other words it was action-packed! I can honestly say that I enjoyed every minute of it.  I didn't see any fights or arguments.  Everyone was calm, and enjoying themselves. Although I did hear about a few fights from others, which was disappointing.  That is the main reason why my family does not like to attend. I don't think it's the Parade's fault that some people just don't know how to act.  The people who were in the parade worked hard to give us a good show, and make us cheer.  It's not fair that others would take that away by starting fights; and there is no need for it.  It gives us a bad reputation, and makes it dangerous for everyone. Boricua's why fight each other if this is the day we are suppose to be united


I am proud to be Latina, and I love my heritage. I wouldn't change it for anything. I would recommend everyone to go see the Puerto Rican Day Parade, because it truly is a beautiful parade that celebrates ethic culture. I am glad I went this year.  I would absolutely go again.


Check out this video if you're Boricua you will love it. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJrjEXSiyVE  

No comments:

Post a Comment